AIoT: When Artificial Intelligence and the Internet of Things Is Emerging As The Future Of Industry 4.0
Sources: Visual Capitalist
What is AIoT?
In the simplest terms, AIoT is the use of AI applied to streaming data from the Internet of Things to provide real-time insights.
AIoT is the addition of artificial intelligence to the devices within the internet of things your organization deploys. The addition of AI and machine learning allows for machines to make a variety of decisions.
The IoT is empowered by three key emerging technologies:
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): Programmable functions and systems that enable devices to learn, reason, and process information like humans.
- 5G Networks: Fifth generation mobile networks with high-speed, near-zero lag for real time data processing.
- Big Data: Enormous volumes of data processed from numerous internet-connected sources.
Together, these interconnected devices are transforming the way we interact with our devices at home and at work, creating the AIoT (“Artificial Intelligence of Things”) in the process.
Without AI capabilities, IoT devices and the data they produce would have limited value. AI applications would also struggle for relevancy if it weren’t for the IoT data flooding utility companies and others. Gartner also estimates that over 80% of enterprise IoT projects will incorporate AI by 2022.
According to Visual Capitalist, there are four major segments in which the AIoT is making an impact:
- Smart Home
- Smart City
- Smart Industry
AI is going to supercharge industrial IoT at two different levels.
- It impacts the telemetry data by augmenting the sensors with intelligence.
- AI will be used to analyze the inbound telemetry data stream in real-time or in batch mode. It plugs itself into the start (devices) and the end (analysis) of the IoT spectrum.
👉 The future of industrial automation lies in the convergence of AI and IoT.
What do you think?